Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Wonderful Two Weeks

I got back to Boston last Monday after two wonderful weeks of premiering the film in Lebanon, Switzerland, and the DR Congo in Arabic, German, and French respectively. (We also did a second screening in Congo in Gujarati). The next few posts will seem to be out of order, as probably the last few posts seem to be as well: I am trying to catch up on blogging and will focus on different aspects in no particular order.

One of the most interesting experiences was at the Beirut International Film Festival. I rarely meet Muslim filmmakers and if I do, it is very briefly with a quick exchange of e-mail addresses. At the film festival it was the first time I got to meet, in one place, so many Muslim filmmakers - and to really get to know them as we spent so much time together including at screenings, dinners, and evening events. One of the questions I was curious to answer and posed to my new friends : Are we Muslim filmmakers or are we filmmakers who happen to be Muslim? Watch for my post on this soon...

It was refreshing traveling where by circumstance, I could get away from the constant news coverage of the heated US Presidential race. I did see Colin Powell endorse Obama as it was big news overseas. Powell said something I have been thinking for months:

"I'm also troubled by, not what Sen. McCain says, but what members of the party say, and it is permitted to be said such things as: "Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well, the correct answer is: he is not a Muslim. He's a Christian. He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is: What if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer is: No, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some 7-year-old Muslim-American kid believing he or she can be president?"*

Well said Powell.


*Source: Salon.com

No comments: