Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Background

So this is my first blog post!

And I am about to complete my first feature documentary! The topic chosen was not the easiest for a first feature but I believed it is a subject that absolutely needed to be told on film.

In grade 10 (ages ago it feels like now!) in one of my first media/film classes, I wondered why no one had ever done a film on the Aga Khan and the Ismailis. Partly curious about my own disposition, partly wanting a way to show my friends who we are and who is our spiritual leader in an engaging way, I got interested in this idea. After graduating from university and working for and with organizations such as the BBC and co-founding the Channel 4 British Documentary Film Foundation, I decided the time was right to pursue the film idea. I started working on realizing this aspiration full time in March 2006 and from a team of one to now working with fantastic people (actually fantastic friends is more appropriate), the idea is now a reality.

There have been MANY bumps in the road thus far (like all films!) and I am sure there will be a few more to go but I can finally start to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I hope this blog captures our filmmaking journey in some way. Bigger than that, I hope the film and the story of the Aga Khan, points to ways to solve the bigger challenges facing Islam today.

More to come....

No comments: